Commercial refurbishment includes sprucing up an office or retail space that is showing signs of wear and tear. A refurbishment can breathe new life into the building and make it more attractive for staff , customers and potential buyers. There are three types of refurbishment:
- Minor â€“ Minor refurbishment may mean repairing cracked walls, or a leaking roof and re-decorating the inside and or outside of the building.
- Medium â€“ This may mean replacing old fittings with more modern ones, creation of new spaces and re-decoration. Installation of heating and cooling systems that donâ€™t require lots of disruption.
- Full â€“ A full refurbishment means carrying out major building works such as the removal/constructions of walls and floors, installation of heating, cooling and lighting using hidden pipework. The renewal of fixtures and fittings and re-decoration.
Reasons for starting a commercial refurbishment project
There are many reasons for starting a refurbishment project, but the main reasons are normally:
- Expansion: To create a larger space in order to reorganise your stock or staff thus creating a pleasant uncrowded atmosphere.
- To Comply with Legal Requirements: Health and safety and energy performance in buildings are now subject to government legislation and non- compliance will lead to large fines. Your builder should know exactly what’s required in order to comply with the law. There is a useful booklet available on the internet called Building Regulations, which is very helpful in following these regulations.
- To Improve Branding: Make your surroundings modern and comfortable to reflect the right image to your customers and clients. The importance of branding to any business is to create a uniform brand throughout, from the company letterheads, websites and premises.
- To Install More Efficient Energy Saving Devices: Make better use of technology in the workspace and modern installations to reduce your energy bills.
What kind of building company do you want to work with?
It is important to employ a professional building firm who know the rules and regulations regarding refurbishment and are able to advise you about alterations and installations. Donâ€™t give your project to a builder who is not aware of recent legislation, as costs will escalate in rectifying the mistakes that have been carried out, which when inspected doesnâ€™t comply with the governmentâ€™s strict rules and regulations.
What are the objectives of your refurbishment project?
If you merely want your building to look less tired, but you donâ€™t want anything major because you donâ€™t have a long lease or own the property, then have a minor refurbishment and go for a re-decoration and repairs project.
If you have a lease that is up to fifteen years and you want to improve your brand image and make better use of your retail or office space, then a medium refurbishment will update your surroundings with modern fixtures and fittings.
If you own the property outright or you have a long lease and intend to stay in the same building for the foreseeable future, then consider having a full refurbishment. This will enable you to decorate and design the space exactly how you want it and to incorporate energy saving technology to save money and make your staff and customers feel more comfortable.
What should you consider during your commercial refurbishment project?
- The number of years you expect to stay in the building
- The permissions required (Landlord and Local Authority)
- How long the project will take to complete
- Whether or not you can keep the building open during refurbishment
- How professional your builder really is and what services do they offer
Commercial Refurbishment of Olivier Spencer Premises in London
Polyteck’s commercial refurbishment services
We like to provide a complete service and thatâ€™s why when you ask us for quote it will include all the services youâ€™re going to need. There wonâ€™t be any problems with plumbers, electricians or carpenters because they are all part of the Polyteck team. Qualified, experienced and professional â€“ our team know how to do a job well, on time and within budget.
If you want to know more about our services, please browse our website and if youâ€™d like a quote please fill in the contact form or call us onÂ 020 7481 0222 (London) or +971 434 752 81 (Dubai).